Friday, January 18, 2013
- Jan. 18 Geography Bee, 9:30, Grades 4-6 in the gym
- Feb. 7, 8 – Student Led Conferences
- Feb. 14 – Muffins for Moms Donuts for Dads, before school
- Feb. 15 – Jump Rope for Heart
- Mondays – SLT in Room 309
- Mon-Wed-Thursdays – Battle of the Books club in the Science lab at 12:30.
- Tuesdays– Guitar Club in the music room
- Tues-Wed-Thursdays –Student Store in the Southwing during lunch, Forensics after school
- Tues-Thurs-Fridays – Cross Country Skiing after school. 3:10-4:30
- Wednesdays – Recycling
Forensics – Please get your permission slip and parent letter and return them this week. Practices start on Tues,. 22nd, when we will pick out our pieces. We will practice every Tues., Wed., and Thurs. in Mrs. Glaser’s room. Try to come at least two sessions each week. Please have a ride home arranged. The competition will be Saturday March 2nd. See you Tuesday!
Cross Country Skiing – will be after school on Tues-Thurs- and Friday each week. Have a ride home arranged at 4:30.
Jump Rope for Heart – Our school is hosting Jump Rope For Heart February 15, 2013. Jump Rope For Heart is a community service learning program of the American Heart Association. It teaches kids:
- The importance of developing heart-healthy habits;
- That being physically active can be fun; and
- That by raising funds to support research and education they help save lives across the country and in their community.
Please keep in mind these dates:
- Envelopes Passed Out: by January 15, 2013
- Envelopes Due: February 14, 2013
- Date(s) of Event: February 15, 2013, from 3:10 – 4:10 PM
Seward Arts Council Announces a New Summer Art Scholarship Opportunity for Local Students
Seward Arts Council would like to announce a $1100 Sitka Fine Arts Camp Scholarship for a Seward area student in grades 6 – 9.
At the Fine Arts Camp, students spend two full weeks in Sitka, taking 5 classes a day in the arts. The camp covers all types of art from drama, to music, to ceramics and painting, clowning, writing and improv. Students choose from a list of 60 class offerings.
Students are housed in dormitories on the Sheldon Jackson campus and they have dorm counselors in addition to arts teachers. In the evening students are treated to performances every night of the first week by their arts instructors and are giving performances every night of their second week of camp. Details about the camp can be found here: http://www.fineartscamp.org/. A video about the camp can be found here: http://www.fineartscamp.org/video/SFA%20Final%2011.08-H.264.mov
SAC’s Scholarship will cover the $1100 camp tuition, which includes room and board for two weeks. The chosen student’s family will need to pay for the round trip airfare to Sitka.
Camp dates for this summer are June 16th -29th for students currently in grade 6 – 8, and June 30th – July 14th for students in 9th grade.
To be considered for this scholarship, please send an e-mail to: Sewardartscouncil@gmail.com. You will be sent application materials, which are due back by January 28th. Applications can also be picked up at the front counter window of the elementary and middle school.
Applications can be returned via e-mail Sewardartscouncil@gmail.com or mailed to: Seward Arts Council Scholarship P.O. Box 1744, Seward, Ak. 99664 No late applications will be accepted.